Friends of ours gave us this very easy Laundry Detergent recipe. Not sure where it originally came from. Takes about 15 minutes to make and lasts for months!
1 bar of soap grated (We used unscented castille, but our friends use whatever they have in the house)
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda (NOT Baking Soda)
1. You melt the soap in one quart of water on the stove.
2. When melted, add it to a 2 gallon container. (We used a 5 gallon pail from bulding supply store, and felt-marked levels on pail to make thing easy for measuring)
3. Add one cup of borax and washing soda (be sure to get rid of any clumps, and mix thoroughy).
4. Mix, then fill with more warm water to make two gallons.
5. Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry (We had an old 1/4 cup stainless ladle sitting around, which worked perfectly)
6. Shake or stir each time before you use it. (We keep the ladle in the pail, which is long enough to stay above the detergent. This keeps our hands out of mixture)
Please share your own housekeeping recipes and ideas!